- Total Mastectomy – all of the breast tissue and covering skin is removed.
- Skin Sparing Mastectomy- breast tissue including the nipple is completely removed but covering skin is left
- Subcutaneous Mastectomy- it is a skin sparing procedure where nipple is not removed.
- Radical mastectomy- All of the breast tissue, nipple and skin covering the breast tissue is removed along with muscles behind the breast and lymph nodes in armpit.
- Modified Radical Mastectomy – a radical mastectomy in which the large muscle behind the breast is left in place.
Many women decide to undergo breast reconstruction surgery post mastectomy after consultation with a breast doctor.